Tuesday, February 17, 2009

“Mark, I’m glad I picked up what you dropped.”

As if my life wasn’t fraught with enough ridiculous situations, I decided to cash in on more by joining pep band. You’ve all heard about my flying folder, which provided my section with vast amounts of entertainment. I guess that dose of hilarity finally wore off, because tonight, this happened:

With about 5 minutes of play left, Devri, Brian’s wife, showed up. Because we are nice friends we let Brian sit on the edge of the band section and talk to Devri while Jared and I scooted over to fill up Brian’s spot. This put me between Mark and Jared. I didn’t think anything of it, but I have since learned the advantages of having a married guy on one side of me--whatever else he’s done, he hasn’t tried to pull anything like this. Anyway, we were sitting down during a pause in the game. I looked over at Brian and Devri and noticed that Brian was trying to sign something to Mark. Considering that Brian and Devri were cuddling as newly-weds will, and that I’m the only girl in a section full of boys, I had the nagging feeling that their signed conversation was probably about me. I turned my head just in time to see Mark ostentatiously reaching out to put his arm around me. I shrieked and scooted away as fast as I could--right into Jared. Jared promptly put his arm around me, I promptly screamed again and turned bright red, and everyone else promptly burst out laughing. I tried to put as much distance as I could between me and the boys on either side, buried my crimson face in my lap, and laughed so hard I almost started crying. Jared patted me on the back and said to Mark, “Mark, I’m glad I picked up what you dropped.”

Somehow, I don’t think pep band was quite this entertaining before I came along.

2 comments:

amyf said...

I'm not gonna lie, I laughed really hard when I read this story, but I also sympathize a LOT. Sorry that you are so outnumbered. :)

Rebecca said...

Yeah . ..when I saw Jared next, I told him that I had heard about his lovin' at the game .. .haha!