Sunday, May 31, 2009

Promises

Something that not many people know about me is that I write poetry for fun. Not only is it a great creative outlet, but there's also something intensely satisfying about turning abstract thoughts and emotions into something discrete and often beautiful. It doesn't happen too often--I have to be in the right mood--but every once in a while a poem will coalesce in the back of my mind and persist in nudging at me until it is safely tucked away on a piece of paper. Today I was puttering about and decided to look through my cache of poems, and I found this one. I can't remember the circumstances that prompted me to write it, but it captures the essence of how I feel about my future at this moment--the first stanza especially.

Promises
one day
some day
when day?
what day?
questions unanswerable
as of yet
a story waiting to be written
a song waiting to be sung
life
a path set before my feet
by Him
known day by day
moment by moment
but no more than the next step
a path I must travel
not knowing what lies before
only trusting
that there will be milestones
along the way
that will come
some day
one day

one day
some day
hopes and dreams fulfilled
milestone reached
someone found
equal in mind
choice of my heart
light
laughter
life
a new path
a continuation
hand in hand
trusting again
in Him
but what day?
when day?
some day
one day

1 comment:

gomormon! said...

Jenny, remind me to show you the book that my grandmother has made. remind me, one day.