Should I be in bed right now? Absolutely. Tomorrow starts early and will be full to the brim. But if I have learned anything as a musician, a poet, or an artist, it's that you listen when your muse calls. Even if it's late at night. Those whisperings of inspiration are as fragile and evanescent as moonlight, and if you don't catch them when they call they will never come back.
Well, tonight they called. And while I don't normally post explanations with my poetry, this one deserves at least a brief note. My thoughts have lately centered on hope and its antithesis, despair. Life holds both, and though sometimes it seems as if despair is all that's left, I have learned that hope is never truly gone. Because of Christ, there is always hope.
Haven't we all felt like this at some point in our lives?
Teach Me That the Stars Still Shine
Lord on high, I come to Thee
With sorrow in my heart.
My soul has wandered far from home
And lost that “better part”.
And in despair I bow my head
My sins on me weigh down.
My heart’s last hope on Thee is laid
And all Thy angels ‘round.
Lord, give me grace beyond my years;
O, teach me what to say.
Please wash the sin-stains from my soul
And help me to obey.
Lord, end the darkness in my heart
And fill my soul with light.
God, teach me that the stars still shine
Throughout the darkest night.
O Lord Almighty, hear my prayer!
Please help me to be free!
Purify my life through Christ
That I might live in Thee.
No comments:
Post a Comment