--You know when people ask you what you want to do with your life? I always want to come up with some grand things like cure the common cold and end world hunger, but if I'm being honest, the answer I keep coming back to is that I want to use my youth well and grow old with grace. I don't want to be one of those people who try to hang onto the past with a death grip. I want to be like Sister Hinckley and embrace my life in all its stages.
--I read an article the other day by a Christian pastor blogger who said that he had no desire to know the historical Jesus. It's really a beautiful article, and he talks about hope for most of it. It really resonated with me. But I read the comments, and all of them got hung up on how he didn't want to know the historical Jesus. People kept saying that you couldn't know Jesus at all unless you studied the historical accounts in the Bible. They all focused on that and didn't even mention the rest of the article, which says wonderful, profound things like this: "As Christians, we are never looking back. We are looking forward. We are not trying to get back to Eden. God is not calling us back to the way things were, but God is calling us to what will be."
I felt sad for the commenters, because I completely agree with the writer. He wants to know Jesus now, the Latter Day Resurrected Lord, instead of the Jesus before the cross. And so do I. I love and honor the Bible and the accounts in it, but every time I read it it's readily apparent that things have been garbled and lost in translation. I've never gotten a really clear picture of Jesus from the Bible stories. The Jesus I know has come through the words of the living prophets, the Book of Mormon, and especially the D&C, which is literally a transcription of the voice of the Resurrected Lord. It's a 100+ sections straight from His mouth, in first person narrative. I feel like that provides an infinitely clearer picture than the first-hand Biblical accounts that have come down to us through who knows how many translators. So I want to write to the pastor and tell him that there is a way to know the modern day Jesus. And it's free to anyone who wants to read it.
--Being an adult is weird. I used to get all happy over a trip to the waterpark or a new movie or a new toy. Don't get me wrong, I still do that (especially over waterparks. I took my nieces to a little waterpark a few weeks ago and I'm pretty sure I had more fun than they did. Ah, the eternal internal twelve-year old). But now I also go into raptures over storage space (my new apartment has a pantry! and a linen closet! oh, the bliss!) and derive an intense satisfaction from a well-stocked freezer. The fact that I have a bowl full of crookneck squash on my counter and unseemly amounts of peaches in my fridge makes me inordinately happy. As a kid, I never expected that these things would make me (almost) as happy as a trip to the waterpark. Like I said, being an adult is weird.
--Speaking of weird things, facing a fall semester and not being in school anymore is creating this odd sense of unreality. I've been starting a new year of school each fall for the past 19 years of my life. 80% of my life has revolved around school. And suddenly, it doesn't anymore. The fact that I'm going to go to work each day and then come home and have free time to do whatever I like, that homework is a thing of the past, is really very strange. Good, but so very bizarre.
--So I just got a job as a line cook in a hipster taco shop. I am a college graduate. I gave six years of blood, sweat, and lots and lots of tears for that degree. Am I now working in music education? No. Will I be using my degree in my work? Yes, but not in the way my professors intended.
And I'm really ok with that. I'm grateful for my degree. I learned huge amounts about my chosen field and myself, and I will always enjoy music. But one of the things I really struggled with the whole time I was working on it was that I had to devote pretty much my entire life to being a music major and I felt like I was so much more than that. I'm more than just a music major. So I'm happy to work in a "menial" taco shop job. It lets me be more fully me. It lets me explore other sides of me that I've been forced to neglect for much too long.
Someday I will probably find my way back into the music field. Once it gets into your bones and your soul it never quite lets you go. But I'm glad to take a break and do other things, so that when I do come back to music, it will feel like coming home again.
--A few weeks ago in sacrament meeting, one of the talks was about sacrifice. He said that sacrifice isn't just giving up something, it's trading something worse for something better. It could be a bad habit, a sin, anything.
It was my first Sunday in this ward. We'd just moved back to Provo, and my life was changing yet again. I was scared--of trying to make new friends, of job hunting, and of the unknown. But he said that a sacrifice could be anything. So I thought, "today, I will sacrifice fear." I will take my fear and trade it to God for something better. I'll trade it for courage, for friends, for confidence, for hope in the future.
Today, I will sacrifice fear.
No comments:
Post a Comment