Not the planet, the song about the planet. Although I am rather fond of the planet as well (I went through an astronomy phase as a child. And I considered taking an astronomy class in college, but gave that up when I realized it was a night class in a dark planetarium with padded, reclining seats. It was a given that I would spend 98% of every class asleep, so I decided against paying tuition for some naptime). But I am more than fond of the song.
"Jupiter, the Bringer of Jollity" is part of The Planets, a seven movement orchestral work by Gustav Holst. I like the whole work (I especially like to listen to Mars when I'm feeling rampage-y) but Jupiter is far and away my favorite movement. It's been my favorite song since I was barely old enough to know what classical music actually was. It's joyous and exciting and rich and beautiful. And the french horns introduce every melodic motif, which makes it even more fun for me as a horn player. This is the song that made me fall in love with the sound of the french horn, although that love didn't manifest itself until many years down the road.
Oftentimes we think that "spiritual" music must have spiritual lyrics, but for me, this is one of the most deeply spiritual songs I know. I've turned to it in times of deep distress and overwhelming happiness because it speaks to my soul in ways that words just aren't able to. It's transcendent. I've been lucky enough to hear it performed live several times and every time it moves me to tears. This is one of the most beautiful things I've found in my life.
1 comment:
I love this song, too! It's amazing without lyrics, but I've sung a version by Z. Randall Stroope called "Homeland" several times, and it's soooo beautiful, too. Here's a link if you haven't heard it!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90odq9gcBhE
Post a Comment