Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Bemused

It doesn’t seem logical that biology class + essay question + poetry = A on test. However, it works. At least, it worked for me. My bio professor is determined to teach us life biology, not the lame text book “this is a cell” cliche course that students have to suffer through over and over. He’s also adamant that we be creative and express our individuality. Therefore, our midterms consist of an essay question on material covered in class or in the out of class reading. The only stipulation is that you have to answer the question fully--other than that, anything goes.
That being the case, when the last midterm rolled around, I decided to do something a little bit out of the norm. I’d gotten very little sleep the night before due to a very busy day and an anthropology paper, so I wasn’t feeling up to writing a technical brief on a paper about bat hawks that I had read but not internalized. I vaguely recalled two of the statistics from the paper, so armed with those nebulous facts and a little bit of luck, I went to work on my midterm and 40 minutes later ended up with this:

Question: Why could bat hawks be said to be living a precarious existence?

Dusk falls
a cave breathes forth fluttering shreds of midnight
the bats tumble into the air like musicians on a stage
warming up their symphony of noiseless sound
Death strikes quickly on feathered wings
a hawk scythes through the swirling cloud
plucking choice morsels from the boughs of night
and devouring them
six seconds from talon to stomach
Fast food, indeed
Seven times the hawk reaps its harvest of chiroptera
in twice as many deadly passes
Some courses, though caught, are deemed too unwieldy or spirited
to eat on the wing
and plummet to earth
mute and crumpled testimonies to a picky eater
Soon the dinner rush ends as dinner rushes out
to deal death to smaller winged creatures of the night
The hawk’s window of opportunity closes
as evanescent as a moonbeam
that in-between time when the world slips into slumber
and the netherworld creeps into its place
Tonight the hawk will rest content
full of bats too slow to evade their end
But tomorrow?

In any normal bio class the professor would think I was crazy for writing poetry. Dr. Black’s comment? “Delightful.”

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I love it!

Jenny said...

:) thanks Mia

Rebecca said...

i echo her comments. it's very cool.