Friday, March 27, 2009

Explain this to me. Please.

I was messing around on facebook and saw an ad in the sidebar that said “Join LDSSingles.com and start meeting local single Mormons.”

Blink.

Blink blink.

Um, hello. I go to BYU--the one place guaranteed to have the highest concentration of local single Mormons on the entire planet. I think that maybe, just maybe, I can meet some of them without the help of a website.

Although at this rate, I don’t really know. Despite the fact that I am within shouting distance of several hundred young single people, it doesn’t seem to have any effect on whether or not anyone wants to meet me. Well, that’s not completely true. I’ve met people, and made good friends this year. Good girl friends. But where boys are concerned, I feel completely invisible.

Why is that? Why does it always seem like no boy cares about girls like me--who are by no means unintelligent or unattractive? On the contrary, I live with and know plenty of girls who are bright, attractive, funny, and as kind as anyone you are likely to meet. And yet boys don’t seem to know that we exist. I’m pretty sure that the only guys in my ward who know me as more than a name or a face are my home teachers--and all that means is that they are pretty much required to get to know me. Even in my ward, where half the men are engaged and can thus have an excuse for being blind to girls, that is lame.

For some girls this could be completely devastating. Thankfully, I know enough about my true self worth to be happy whether or not a boy notices me. I am not devastated, I am frustrated. And getting more so as time goes on. And before you start telling me that I shouldn’t let it get to me, consider this: In my apartment we used to jokingly refer to ourselves as “the dateless wonders”. Unfortunately, that designation is now true only for me. Every single other girl in the apartment has been asked on a date or something like it this year--not a ton, and not that often, but enough so that they know that at least one boy out there knows they exist. Me? I haven’t been asked on a date since my junior year of high school. Not once in three mortal years. Am I justified in being frustrated? I think so. I’m not evil, I’m not an unsightly hag, I have more personality than a table top, as far as I know there is nothing about me screaming “TAKEN!!” to scare boys away…so why is this happening? I don’t understand it in the least.

The point of this post is not to beg for a date (I don’t think anyone who reads it is the kind of person who could take me on a date anyway). The point is to ask for an explanation. Please.

1 comment:

marci said...

Dear Jenny. I will take you for a date. It won't be quite like going on a date with a boy, but hey. Maybe it will be more fun then the date I went on this week?