You know those moments when you're on
the brink of something new? Something huge and life changing? And
you're caught between the old and the new, today and tomorrow,
excitement and sheer bloody terror?
I'm right there.
I'm right there, and I'm terrified.
Humans are creatures of habit. We find
our routine and we stick to it. It's comfortable. It's familiar. It's
easy. My life is none of those things right now. And yet it's all of
those things. It's midway between the familiar and the unknown, and
the transition is definitely not comfortable.
I've done this a few times before. When
I left for college. When I got my first boyfriend. When I blindly
auditioned for a brass band that put me through the wringer and
changed the course of my life. In all those times my world has
shifted and rearranged itself and made me seriously consider what it
was and who I was. I had to redefine myself and find room for both
the old and the new--the things that made me who I was to that point,
and the new things that were changing me, like it or not. And in all
those times it was hard. It was hard to go from the high school girl
living at home to the college girl who had to cook all her own meals
and set her own schedule. It was hard to go to a new place and become
a missionary and adjust to different rules. It was very hard to set
aside twenty years of single-ness and re-conceptualize myself as a
girl with a boyfriend.
But I managed it. In all cases I worked
through it and cobbled together a new me that learned to survive and
thrive and conquer that new sphere.
Now I find myself at a new transition.
In mid-leap. The apex of that leap is arriving in eight short days.
Then I have to rearrange the pieces of my life into a new
pattern--one that works with another person's life. And although I
was more than ready to quit the sphere of college apartment living,
the habits and conditioning of five full years are proving hard to
alter. It's been a long time since those last big changes. And none
of them, honestly, were quite this
big. Not this life-changing. Not this important. Not this profound.
It's a good thing I'll have my best friend along with me to conquer this world. To define it, and me, and us. Wish us luck as we begin our next great adventure.
2 comments:
Good luck Jenny! Marriage is a crazy ride but so much fun!! Mike is a great guy and you are awesome yourself! Best of wishes for a happy transition!
Marriage definitely is a huge change and there are lots of adjustments you'll make, but it is so worth it! I love you Jenny and am so excited for you! Good luck next week! Enjoy one of the greatest days of your life!
Post a Comment