
People tell me that when that phrase comes out of my mouth, they begin fearing for their safety. You would think that they would have learned by now that "Oops" only signifies a minor disaster. It's when I say "Oh NO" that you really ought to worry.
What prompted this post is another one of my small cooking disasters. You might think that I couldn't get into trouble with a cake mix where the only directions are "Just add water." Sigh. Once again, I have managed to do the unthinkable. Somewhere between adding the water and putting the cakes in the oven, something must have gone wrong. I didn't notice until I started smelling smoke. I guess the batter was a little too poofy, because I looked in the oven and found the cakes basically exploding over the sides of the pans. A big clump of batter had fallen on one of the heating elements and was well on its way to being a little cremated lump on the bottom of the oven. Oops…
So, now I have another thing to add to my list of college cooking disasters--things like brazier bread, chocolate truffle mush (which was supposed to be cakes), deformed Easter rolls, extremely colorful deviled eggs, and my personal favorite, the night when the blender came apart and refried beans splattered everywhere.
No comments:
Post a Comment