…down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way,
Where many paths and errands meet.
And wither then? I cannot say.
--Bilbo Baggins, The Lord of the Rings
I'm feeling very reflective today. Right now is a time of many many endings and many new beginnings. I'm three finals and four days shy of finishing my freshman year of college. All the friends I have made this year will very soon be scattering to the four corners of the earth, and I might never see some of them again. I'll miss them all.
My own journey this summer will take me halfway across the country--I'll be spending four months in Nauvoo, Illinois, riding around town playing my horn on the bandwagon as a Young Performing Missionary. I am so excited I can hardly stand waiting until May. This is an adventure I never thought I'd have even in my wildest dreams. Waiting for summer to arrive, it has certainly felt like a dream. But the reality of it is sinking in as the school year draws to a close. Going to Nauvoo became very real today, actually. My bishop called me into his office after church today and, with no further ado, set me apart as a missionary. Yep, I'm a missionary. I'm a little overwhelmed by it, and uncertain about how the next two weeks are going to work out (Do I have to stay with a companion now? If I do, how the heck is that going to work when I go take my finals?). Oh well. I'm sure it will all work out how it's supposed to.
This will probably be my last post until school starts again in September. Until then, have a good life, enjoy yourselves, and think of me every once in a while. See you on the other side!
P.S.--Send me gifts! ;)
No comments:
Post a Comment