I have decided that I would like to post a thought of the day. I would like to post a profound thought each day, but I fear that my profundity tends toward the ridiculous when subjected to close scrutiny. Ah well. I'll give it a try anyway.
This thought has been wandering around my head since I happened upon it a week or two ago. I was outside reading my physics book on one of the few truly lovely days we have had this spring, and came across this statement: "…light has greatly enhanced our capacity to investigate and understand the nature of the universe." At first I seized on that phrase out of sheer relief that I had managed to battle through the chapter on alternating current circuits (sorry Dad, but I will never understand electricity well enough to be an engineer), but then I started thinking about it a little more. Light really is instrumental in so much of what we do and how we learn. D&C 93:36 says "The glory of God is intelligence, or, in other words, light and truth." So if the glory of God is light, and light helps us understand the world…then it follows that our understanding of the world comes directly from God. God is guiding how we understand our universe. That gave me pause for thought, and I spent a while pondering it and looking at the sunshine all around me. (Unfortunately it also killed my "studying physics" mindset--I was more interested in contemplating the cosmos). I don't think the writers of my physics text were intending to make a doctrinal point, but they managed quite well regardless.
4 comments:
Dear Mr. Language Person,
I do believe the last word in your thought provoking statement should be "irregardless." I hope the full complexity and double-negativity of the word impresses itself upon your psyche. Thank you for your time.
Moesha
Thanks for sharing your insight, Jenny. It's so simple, so direct, and effective. Obviously inspired by the Spirit.
I think your thoughts are amazing "irregardless" of Elise and her being Mrs. Language person. Can we live with her when she becomes a famous linguist?
Your love of nature has always been both motivation and distraction. Some things never change.
You are the girl who talked to carrots (and had them talk to each other) at dinner. Nature on a smaller scale.
love mom
Don't give up so quickly! None of us understand AC circuits the first time through, but with perseverance, it all becomes clear. Why is everyone so willing to devote a lifetime to pondering the meaning of life, the universe, and everything, but toss the engineering right out when the going gets a little tough?
Post a Comment